Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My depression

Well, as I stated briefly previously... my postpartum depression, my regular companion after childbirth, came to be with me on postpartum day 2, the day we entered the hospital. For me, that meant starting to cry, and only stopping briefly occasionally. On the evening of our first day in the hospital I scolded myself for not asking for a shot while we were at Spencer’s clinic that day, but it wasn’t even on my radar because of Elizabeth’s problems. Oh well, so much for “could haves” and “should haves”. The next day, after surgery while Elizabeth and I were resting, Dave ran home to get some things, check on the kids, and swung by the clinic and picked up two shots for me. The next day at the hospital we found a super kind nurse who said she would stand by and watch Dave inject me to make sure I was injected in the right place and the right way, since Dave had never done it yet. When they disagreed on where it should go in, my back suddenly filled with sweat and I got nauseous! So I made them quit and said I would wait til I was home and have Michael do it. When I did get home, Michael wouldn’t do it! He wanted Dave to learn. I was not happy. He did teach Dave though and Dave did wonderfully. I hardly felt it. But I was very nervous. Two days later Dave had to give me the other one and it hurt that time, and for a day or two after my hip joint hurt. It made me wonder if he put it in a wrong place, but I will never know.

I think I only took a total of 3 shots. I went to the clinic for one more after the two at home, and they gave me one to take home, but since I was a little nervous about Dave giving it to me I toughed it out and didn’t take it. I was feeling borderline and I guess I fell on the ok side of the border since I did ok without the shot. I did get a little depressed feeling again a couple weeks later, but I was too tired to get a shot, and it passed.

No comments: