Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Colic

Can colic ever be avoided completely? I don’t recall ever escaping it with any of my kids, though some have been milder than others. Well Elizabeth was no exception, as she began a fussy period around 6 weeks. She would sleep fine all day, but around suppertime she would fuss and fuss and cry. Dave would have to walk her to sleep, but she would only sleep for about 10 minutes and then wake and cry again. She wasn’t too bad but I couldn’t take care of her without Dave. One time, the girls and I stayed overnight at Patti Goke’s house, and Elizabeth cried til past midnight. It was a very hard night for me. A couple weeks into this, I took Elizabeth to Dr. Sarah for a chiropractor adjustment. She is so good with babies. She said her Vegas nerve was pinched. That nerve deals with digestion, so it would make sense that Elizabeth was fussy and pulling her legs up to her stomach (stomach pain?). After one adjustment she cried less, after two her fussiness was completely gone. She is such a pleasant baby again. She gently goes to sleep by sucking her pacifier now. It’s very sweet, and fun to watch. She is 11 weeks old now and is such a joy.

No comments: