Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Elizabeth's name

I never did tell the story of how Elizabeth acquired her name (and two middle names). Dave and I have liked the name Elizabeth for a while. I like the traditional feeling of it, and while doing geneology I came across the name several times on both my and Dave’s side. I guess I’m not the only one who likes that name. Also there are so many wonderful saints named Elizabeth. But in particular she is named after Mary’s cousin Elizabeth, relative of Jesus. And Dave and I like to include Mary in our girl’s names (with the exception of Maggie, but she is named after Mary Magdelene).

While I was pregnant, I was praying a prayer for a safe and peaceful delivery. I had been such a nervous wreck thinking I would have a hard delivery again like William’s so I was praying this prayer diligently. There were three parts to the prayer. Each paragraph made a request to a different saint: Mary - mother of Jesus, Elizabeth - mother of John, and Ann - mother of Mary. The paragraph which called on the intercession of Ann was the request for a peaceful delivery. Since I was so afraid of dying during childbirth - a fear I had during William’s birth when he was stuck - I prayed that part of the prayer most fervently. One day I realized that I was naming my baby after two of the people in this prayer of 3. So I made a deal with Ann that if she gave me the peaceful delivery I prayed for, that I would name my daughter after her too! She came through for me with flying colors. I was amazed at how peaceful the delivery was. I even thought about that between contractions once. I vividly remember thinking that this time was different. I could rest between contractions and I didn’t fear death. I focused on that picture of the Blessed Sacrament and remembered that Fr. Corey was in front of the Blessed Sacrament for me and that others were praying. I found out later that Suzanne (Elizabeth’s Godmother) prayed a rosary for us and she ended it right at the time Elizabeth was born! So thank you Ann for the peace from God that I needed to get through that birth. Thank you for Elizabeth Mary Ann.

No comments: